The Jesuit Institute offers various levels of training in Spiritual Direction: (In total 5 consecutive years of training)
- Level 1: An Introduction to Spiritual Direction:
- The Prayer Guide Training: This is aimed at anyone who has no previous training in Spiritual Direction.
- Ngi Hamba Nkosi: This is an introductory training in facilitating an Ignatian Parish retreat in a township context. Previous experience of a Tsoseletsa retreat is a pre-requisite for attendance on this course.
- Level 2: A three year training in Spiritual Direction
- A three year course offered in 8 four-day modules over the first two years (these are offered at Lumko, a residential centre, to enable people from all over Southern Africa to attend) in Johannesburg, with an extra year to complete the practical requirement of 50 supervised hours of spiritual direction in a pre-agreed variety of modes and settings. Acceptance on the course is determined by previous training and experience. The course is offered from an Ignatian point of view, but is designed to be of benefit to people whose dominant spirituality is not necessarily Ignatian. See the Spiritual Direction Training Prospectus
- Level 3: A one year training in giving the Full Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius
- This course is offered to Directors who have successfully completed the two year Spiritual Directors course and who have made the Full Spiritual Exercises of St Ignatius either as an enclosed retreat or as a retreat in daily life.
- Level 4: A one year training in the Supervision of Spiritual Directors
- This training is offered by invitation only to experienced directors whom the Jesuit Institute thinks may have the charism to supervise others.