This is an in depth and intensive training course offered in Modular format over the course of 32 teaching days spread over 8 four day modules in two years. There are also 14 Assignments and a required 70 supervised hours of giving Spiritual Direction. It will next be offered in Johannesburg and Cape Town in 2018 and 2019. Applications open in July 2017.
To be eligible to apply you must have:
- Completed Hearts on Fire (or an equivalent)
- Successfully completed the Prayer Guide Training and Ngihamba NeNkosi or ideally both
- Been in your own spiritual direction process for at least 2 years
- Have guided on at least 3 Weeks of Guided Prayer or Tsoseletsas.
- It is helpful to have made at least one eight-day directed retreat
- Please note that a selection process applies as we generally have many more applicants than places.
Topics covered include:
- An in-depth understanding of Ignatian Spirituality
- The Use of Scripture in Spiritual Direction
- The History of Christian Spirituality
- An in-depth study of Ignatian Spirituality
- An in-depth study of the Discernment of Spirits
- Multi-cultural approaches to Spiritual Direction
- The Distinguishing between spiritual accompaniment and psychological counselling
- Psychological Issues relevant to spiritual accompaniment (including transference, counter-transference and resistance)
- Helping People to Pray
- Working with image of God
- Effects of Social Media on the Spiritual Life
- “Wondering” questions
- Listening Skills for Spiritual Directors
- Ethics and contracting for Spiritual direction
- Supervision of Spiritual Directors
- Many other topics.
Please note: For a full outline of the syllabus or more in-depth information on this course contact Annemarie Paulin-Campbell on firstname.lastname@example.org