This is an in-depth and intensive training course offered in Modular format over the course of 32 teaching days spread over 8 four-day modules in two years. There are also 12 Assignments in the first two years and a required 70 supervised hours of giving Spiritual Direction. It will next be offered in Johannesburg in 2018/ 2019/20120. Applications open on 1st July 2017 and close on the 15th September 2017.
To be eligible to apply you must have:
- Completed Hearts on Fire (or an equivalent)
- Successfully completed the Prayer Guide Training and Ngihamba NeNkosi or ideally both
- Been in your own spiritual direction process for at least 2 years
- Have guided on at least 3 Weeks of Guided Prayer or Tsoseletsas.
- It is helpful to have made at least one eight-day directed retreat
- Please note that a selection process applies as we generally have many more applicants than places.
Topics covered include:
- An in-depth understanding of Ignatian Spirituality
- The Use of Scripture in Spiritual Direction
- The History of Christian Spirituality
- An in-depth study of Ignatian Spirituality
- An in-depth study of the Discernment of Spirits
- Multi-cultural approaches to Spiritual Direction
- The Distinguishing between spiritual accompaniment and psychological counselling
- Psychological Issues relevant to spiritual accompaniment (including transference, counter-transference and resistance)
- Helping People to Pray
- Working with image of God
- Effects of Social Media on the Spiritual Life
- “Wondering” questions
- Listening Skills for Spiritual Directors
- Ethics and contracting for Spiritual direction
- Supervision of Spiritual Directors
- Many other topics.
Please note: For a full outline of the syllabus or more in-depth information on this course contact Margaret Backwell on email@example.com